Tag Archives: Security

PNG ICSA ASSURED REFUGEES OF THEIR WELL BEING

3rd November 2017

The acting Chief Migration Officer Solomon Kantha returned from Manus island yesterday(Wednesday,1st November) after a brief visit to the island province to see first hand the situation surrounding the movement of refugees from the regional processing centre.

The authorities have urged some 600 men at the processing centre to voluntarily move to the new location.

The PNG Immigration and Citizenship Service Authority have assured the residents full services including their safety at the new location, after some 600 men have refused to move to the new location in fear of their security and safety.

Solomon Kantha told NBC News, the new transit at Loreangau have necessary services such as water, electricity, food and medical services.

 


He said it is for their own security and safety to move immediately to the new locations as PNG Immigration will not be responsible for their well being at the old processing enter.

Mr Kantha said for those who wish to stay at Lombrum will subject themselves to a situation where they will not have any services. 

 

He said buses will be made available every day to transport those that want to move to the new locations. 

So far a few have expressed interest to move and PNG Immigration will make transportation available for them.

Anyone that leaves the Lombrum Naval Base will not be allowed to return. 

Kantha said, PNG ICSA is monitoring the situation closely.

Meantime, Minister for Immigration and Boarder Protection Petrus Thomas is expected to give a formal update and PNG standpoint regarding the relocation of the Regional Processing Center issues at hand anytime today.

-NBC News- Rose Amos-

Australia responds to Manus asylum seekers

Source: Loop PNG

2nd November 2017

 

This was the firm stance by Australia’s Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, Peter Dutton, following yesterday’s closure of the Manus Regional Processing Centre.

 

 

“The Coalition Government has had a clear and consistent policy since coming to office.”

 

 

Dutton says the Illegal Maritime Arrivals (IMAs) who are refusing to leave the RPC have been aware since May this year that the PNG authorities would close the RPC on the 31st of October.

 

 

“Indeed the Government of Papua New Guinea indicated from mid-2016 that it would move to close the RPC.”

 

 

He points out that have been informed for a considerable period of time that there is safe and secure alternate accommodation where health and other services will be maintained.

 

 

“Refugees can relocate to the East Lorengau Refugee Transit Centre or West Lorengau Haus.

 

 

“Those who have been found not to be refugees should relocate to Hillside Haus.”

 

 

The Minister brushes aside claims of inhumane treatment of refugees whilst at the centre, stating the constant claims of IMAs and advocates about their situation in Manus are nothing more than subterfuge.

 

 

“They have long claimed the Manus RPC was a ‘hellhole’ – but the moment it was to be closed, they demanded it be kept open.

 

 

“They claim to fear for their safety if they leave the RPC, but held no such fears for a long period of time as around 200 of them, each and every day, travelled to and from Lorengau township, some staying in the town for extended periods of time.”

 

 

Dutton says PNG’s processing of these IMAs has been completed and there are clear pathways ahead of them.

 

 

“Those found to be refugees can settle within Papua New Guinea as agreed under the arrangement struck between the previous Rudd Labor Government and the Government of Papua New Guinea in 2013,” states the Minister.

 

 

“The Australian Government has provided reasonable alternate pathways for those who do not wish to resettle in PNG; specifically they can apply for resettlement in the United States or apply to move to Nauru.”

 

 

He says those who have been found not to be refugees are in PNG illegally and should return to their country of origin as hundreds already have done.

 

 

“The governments of PNG and Australia will facilitate voluntary returns.

 

 

“These people sought to subvert Australia’s laws by paying people smugglers to bring them illegally to Australia by boat – none will ever resettle here.”

 

 

Meantime on Monday, PNG’s Immigration and Border Security Minister, Petrus Thomas, stated that PNG still needs to sit with Australia to review the Regional Resettlement Agreement.

 

 

“The RRA is still current, but because of the date of the 31st we are just reviewing the RRA.

 

 

“Because the main idea of bringing the asylum seekers in was to process them, so now we’ve identified the refugees from the non-refugees, after the 31st we have to look for a way forward on how Australia will support them in the third country.”

 

 

(Immigration Minister Peter Dutton – Picture: Sky News)

Govt warns new security contractors on Manus

Source: The National by Helen Tarawa.

THE Government has warned new security contractors on Manus to maintain the status quo and avoid stirring up issues with local contractors.

 
Minister for Immigration and Boarder Security Petrus Thomas said the government wanted the new contractors not to create any issues on the ground.

 
Thomas said some Fijians had wanted to provide security services which he strongly discouraged.
“We have local security firms that are providing the services at the facility on Manus and doing exceptionally well,” he said.

 
“I don’t see any reason to bring foreign security guards. Security services are reserved for nationals.
“There are no consultations with us on their (Fijians) coming. All those processes have to be followed because we have laws to assess their work visa.

 
“We have Australian trained security guards in that project for the last four years to meet the requirement and standard.

 
“Fiji and PNG are Pacific brothers and this kind of arrangement might disturb our good relationship. I believe Fiji will understand our laws.”

 
Acting Chief Migration Officer Solomon Kantha, said the initial agreement in 2013 was for Australia to transfer asylum seekers to PNG to process them.

 
“Processing meaning making assessments, refugee status determinations whether they quality as refugees or non-refugees,” he said.

 
“And then we had a new agreement with them that includes the resettlement aspects of those who are found to be refugees. To date, PNG has fulfilled those obligations under the current agreement, which was to accept the transfer of asylum seekers, process them, and give them the option of resettlement in the country.”

‘Exercise Pukpuk’ a step towards 2018 APEC

The recently-completed Exercise Pukpuk is just one piece of the whole preparation of the 1RPIR to support the PNGDF and the Government deliver security to APEC 2018.

 

 

This was highlighted by the Commanding Officer for the 1RPIR, Lt. Colonel Boniface Aruma, who told media that the battalion will be the main joint task force group that will provide security for APEC.

 

 

Aruma says his troops have already embarked on conventional operations training, which commenced last month and will finish on the 15th of December.

 

 

“The personnel are out on field going through conventional operations which is the basic fundamental of war fighting.

 

 

“It’s living in the jungle, operating in the jungle and fighting the war in the jungle,” he says.

 

 

“If they know the basic fundamentals and are very competent in their profession on how to live and fight the war in the jungle then that sets the conditions for them and makes it easy for our soldiers to transition into conducting security operations inside towns and cities.”

 

 

Aruma says for the troops to be effective and efficient in their tasks, they need to go through the fundamentals first.

 

 

“Each infantry soldier in the battalion is required to complete a combat fitness which is a 25km march that you need to complete in 6 hours with a minimum of 30 to 40kg pack.

 

 

“Those are steps that we have taken as a unit to really solidify the conventional skills of fighting the war in the jungle.”

 

 

The troops have been out on training for the past two weeks with initial foundations training in Taurama then onto Goldie then finishing off with the 25km pack march.

 

 

Meanwhile, following the wrap up of the conventional operations training yesterday, Aruma says the troops will go for a brief break then onto urban operations training, which will start in January 2018.

Author:

Julianna Waeda

Inception workshop to strengthen food production

An inception workshop is underway at the National Agricultural Research Institute (NARI) headquarters, outside Lae, to put into perspective issues associated with food production.

 

 

The project “Strengthening food production capacity and the resilience to drought of vulnerable communities” is funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by NARI in partnership with provincial and district administrations, and other relevant NGOs.

 

 

The workshop is expected to attract over 40 representatives from 20 districts of 11 lowland provinces to be covered under this project. Senior managers of NARI and representatives from EU office in PNG are also expected to participate in this event.

 

 

The two-day event starts on Wednesday, 25 October and ends on Thursday, 26 October.

 

 

It is expected to provide an opportunity for participants to establish common understanding on the objectives, major activities to be undertaken and the expected outcomes of the project.

 

 

The overall objective of the workshop is to gather all potential partners to select and confirm target project sites in each of the identified districts, plan activities for year one and firm up partnership arrangements in order to start the implementation phase.

 

 

The 4-year project, launched in May, is expected to be completed in 2021. The overall objective of this Euro 3 million EU supported project is to contribute to achieving a greater resilience of smallholder farming and rural communities in PNG to abiotic stresses arising from seasonal weather patterns, climate change or natural disasters impacting on their livelihoods.

 

 

The full implementation phase is expected to commence in January next year and will cover various sites in Madang, Morobe, East Sepik, Sandaun, Manus, West New Britain, Central, Milne Bay, Western, Gulf and Northern provinces. These target sites, selected based on assessment reports of various institutions, including the PNG National Disaster Centre, have been found to be among the worst affected areas during the recent 2015 – 2016 El Niño induced drought.

 

 

NARI, as the lead implementing agency, hopes to use this workshop organised for provinces in the Momase and Islands region to formalise partnerships and to obtain the commitment of respective provinces and districts to provide their support for the successful implementation of the project.

 

 

A similar workshop is planned for the provinces in the southern region in mid-November.

 

 

(Participants of the official launching of the project on Kiriwina, Milne Bay Province, last May)

Author:

Press Release

O’Neill On Violence Against Women

Source: Post-Courier

 

 

Communities must stand up against any act of violence against women and Churches must take a leading role in protecting victims and exposing violent men.

 
This is the message from the Prime Minster Peter O’Neill to community and church leaders, as well as male family members who he said have a natural responsibility to protect their mothers, daughters and sisters.

 
“A man is a coward if he thinks it is okay to hit a woman, these abusers would not have the courage to hit a man who was bigger than they are, but they hit a woman who is smaller,” the Prime Minister said.

 
“We have enacted laws to prevent violence against women, but no Government in any country can stop violence against women without the active support of communities.

 
“There must be zero tolerance in our nation for violence against women, and community leaders must do more to help victims rather than supporting perpetrators.

 
“Community leaders are not truly leaders if they turn a blind eye to violence against women.

 
“Every human life matters and must be protected, and domestic violence is totally unacceptable. “Any community or Church leader who turns a blind eye to even a single case of violence against women has let their people down, and has abandoned the Christian principles our nation holds dear.”

 
The Prime Minister further called on the men in families to take a stand against any violence they see.

 
“I also appeal to the sons of our nation, if your father beats your mother you have to show that you are a man and stand up for your mother.

 
“Your mother gave you life, now you must protect her life and show gratitude for her commitment to you.

 
“The same goes for all the men in families, to brothers, uncles, and other male family members, do not turn a blind eye.”

 
He said the National Government will increase public awareness aimed at preventing domestic violence. This will be undertaken alongside the commitment of increased resources for police and courts to deal with violent men, as well as increased support for the victims of violence.

Desalination awareness starts in Central

Source: Loop PNG

(Pictured is the plant installed in Manus)

Author: Sally Pokiton

Awareness and survey has started in the National Capital District and Central Province by the salt water desalination team from the Department of National Planning.

 

The awareness began after the formal handing over of the pilot project in three islands in Manus.

 

Fisherman Island outside Port Moresby was the first area visited by the team.

 

Hula village in Central Province was also visited on Friday.

 

National project coordinator, Tom Anayabere, said after the awareness program, the team will later prepare and test a portable desalination plant in the area as a formal technical demonstration.

 

Other areas that will be visited by the team include Ihu in Gulf Province, Milne Bay, Northern and Western provinces.

 

« Older Entries