Category Archives: Information

2018 Academic Year Commences

PRESS STATEMENT

RESUMPTION OF 2018 ACADEMIC YEAR

The Secretary for Education, Dr. Uke Kombra, has announced that the 2018 academic year begins on Monday, 22nd January, 2018 for teachers of all institutions that are administered under the National Education System, while the students will start their classes a week later on Monday 29th January, 2018.

Once the teachers resume duties, they will be required to report to their Principal, Head Teacher or Manager to confirm that they have been posted to the school by NEB or PEB.
All teachers and new graduates must also complete the Resumption of Duty Summary Sheet (RODSS) and Teacher Record of Appointment (TRoA) and other relevant documents. The RODSS form is vital because it determines continuity of the teachers’ salary payment in 2018 and for new graduates to be placed on the payroll. It is also crucial that all forms must be filled in correctly, and signed off.

Dr. Kombra said vital documents, such as RODSS, TRoA and Application of Registration of Employment (EDB020) have been dispatched to the Provincial Education Offices in November, 2017 for the purpose of the 2018 teachers’ resumption exercise.

The provincial authorities are urged to ensure that new graduates from the Teachers’ Colleges and Universities fill in the RODSS and Teacher Record of Appointment (TRoA) in their schools, including other necessary documents that are required of them, and forward them to the Department of Education Payroll Division in order for their names to be entered on the payroll, and for their salaries to be paid on time.

“On the date when classes will start, the students must begin with their lessons and teachers are present to teach programed lessons. The students must not be seen to be engaged in cleaning and cutting grass near the classrooms on the start of classes,” warned Dr. Kombra.

Meanwhile, the Secretary has called on all the heads of all the institutions and governing bodies to ensure that the school year begins smoothly for their teachers and students.

DR. UKE KOMBRA, PhD
Secretary for Education

 

2018 Education Calender :

http://www.education.gov.pg/calendar/png-doe-calendar-2018.pdf

 

 

 

Pukpuks off to Sydney Sevens

By: Troy Taule

The PNG Pukpuks are off to Australia for the HSBC Sydney Sevens.

Speaking before their departure today, coach, Dougie Guise said the team has been in training over the last 18 months.

“Preparations have been really good especially in the last couple of weeks with the inclusion of the boys from the outside provinces.

“We’ve picked up a bit of momentum and all looking forward to the challenge over the next couple of weekends.

He said the team for the Sydney Sevens will be captained by Henry Kalua.

There are 16 countries that will taking part in the tournament. The Pukpuks are in Pool C with South Africa, England and Spain.

Guise ended by thanking sponsors including Air Niugini, Total Waste Management and Melanesian Trustee Services Limited.

The men’s tournament will run from January 26-28.

The HSBC Sydney Sevens will be played live on TVWAN.

 

Source: http://www.looppng.com/sport/pukpuks-sydney-sevens-72586

Treasurer meets with Nambawan Super

Press Release

The Acting Prime Minister and Treasurer, Charles Abel, has met with the Nambawan Superannuation management to resolve the outstanding contributions state owes to its members.

Abel stated that the recent National Court decision on the liability to Nambawan Superannuation Fund is part of the debt that accrued before 2009 from unfunded state superannuation contribution for public servants.

“The Government has been paying all fortnightly contribution since then and gradually paying down the inherited debt through budget appropriations such as the K150 million in this year’s budget,” he said.

In a meeting with Nambawan Super CEO Paul Sayer and management, a resolution was reached to clear all the entitlements for exiting public servants up to the end of 2017.

Abel said the state would work closely with NSL to ensure its obligations in making payment to public servants are met so that those who have served the country for many years can enjoy their retirement with dignity.

“I want to thank the management and Board of Nambawan Super who have been doing a tremendous job and especially our public servants for their patience.”

 

 

Source: http://www.looppng.com/business/treasurer-meets-nambawan-super-72498

MP pledges to support CS

Correctional Services officers have been reminded to put value and purpose to their responsibilities.

Correctional Services Minister Roy Biyama gave the reminder when he pledged his support for the department and its challenges for the new year.

Mr Biyama urged members of the Correctional Services to carry out their duties to the best of their abilities and that the road ahead for them will see many challenges.

“I am looking forward to working together with you to really put value and purpose to our responsibilities as correctional servicemen and women serving with dignity,” Mr Biyama said.

“I am not saying this is going to be easy, but let me stress here that through the hardship and struggles, valuable lessons and experiences can be learnt.”

The CS Minister made these remarks during the CS Remembrance Day memorial service yesterday in Port Moresby to honor CS officers who were killed in the line of duty.

 

Source: https://postcourier.com.pg/mp-pledges-support-cs/

State resources to support evacuation: PM

 

Prime Minister Peter O’Neill has directed all relevant State resources be made available to support the evacuation of people at risk due to volcanic eruptions on Kadovar Island in the East Sepik region.

 

 

The Prime Minister also again issued a warning for all coastal communities in the north of the country to be on alert for the risk of tsunami resulting from volcanic activity.

 

 

“National Government agencies, led by our disciplined services, have been stood-up to respond to volcanic activity on Kadavor Island,” the Prime Minister said.

 

 

“Volcanoes are very unpredictable, we are hearing various reports that activity has been building up and we need to take all precautions to keep our people safe.

 

 

“We will not take risks with human lives, let’s get people out of harm’s way now, and constantly monitor the activity of the volcano,” he said.

 

 

“I have authorised the additional deployment of personnel and assets to assist in the transfer of any people who are in the broader vicinity of the volcano.

 

 

“National Government resources are being fully engaged, and are working together with the support of provincial officers, to ensure our people are looked after while there is a risk of eruption.

 

 

“Flights in the area have also been cancelled and ships and boats warned to stay away unless they are part of the response to the volcanic activity.”

 

 

PM O’Neill has again warned all coastal villages and towns, even those hundreds of kilometres away, to be vigilant to the risk of tsunami.

 

 

“The terrain around the volcano is very steep, so this increases the risk of a large landslide that could trigger a tsunami.

 

 

“Tsunamis can travel hundreds and thousands of kilometres across open water, so communities must be ready if there is a landslide.

 

 

“I call on all media outlets, particularly radio stations, to carry tsunami warnings and help people to be ready in the event of a landslide causing a tsunami.

 

 

“Tsunami poses a serious threat and all coastal areas in the north of our country must be on alert.”

 

 

The PM O’Neill said as a country on the Pacific Ocean Ring of Fire, Papua New Guinea is very aware of the threats posed by natural disasters.

 

 

“We know the damage that can be reaped by a volcano, and only have to look back to Rabaul in 1994,” he said.

 

 

“Our National Government agencies have increased their response capacity significantly since the days of the Rabaul volcano.

 

 

“We will continue to monitor the situation for ongoing escalation on volcanic activity, and do all we can to protect life and property.”

 

Author: Press release

Photo Credit: Loop PNG.

Cost of rice will not increase: Trukai

Source: Loop PNG

 

PNG’s leading rice supplier, Trukai Industries, says it will not increase the cost of rice in the country.

 

Trukai Industries CEO, Greg Worthington-Eyre, said while Trukai understands and is deeply concerned over the current economic conditions in PNG, and the pending inflationary impact of fuel price increases, currency devaluation and reduced consumer spending power, it has no plans at this point of passing on the impact of these issues to PNG consumers.

 

Worthington-Eyre says Trukai’s focus on food security, which includes affordability and quality, is at the forefront and they will be making every effort to support the people of PNG.

 

Trukai is the oldest and largest rice distribution and manufacturer in PNG, having been established in February 17th, 1970.

 

Apart from rice, they also supply stockfeed.

Author: Charmaine Poriambep

On schedule

Source: The National

By GYNNIE KERO 


Oil Search Ltd is confident the APEC Haus taking shape in Port Moresby will be completed well before the contracted deadline – July 31.
Its construction at Ela Beach is paid for through Oil Search’s tax credit scheme for K120 million and Construction Project Build (CPB) Company is leading the work.
APEC Haus project manager Peter Kearsley said 65 per cent of the building was completed.
“Yes, the project is on budget,” he said. “The next thing you will see is glass go up at the start of February.
“Now having had the roof on, we are able to work on the ground floor.
“Contracted deadline is July 31, the guys will definitely beat that. It will be finished before the end of July.”
Prime Minister Peter O’Neill yesterday said APEC Haus would be converted into a world-class museum after the leaders’ meeting in November.
He also highlighted that more than 80 per cent of the project workers were locals. “Many of our artefact, thousands of years old and held in museums (elsewhere), we want to bring back here,” O’Neill said.

NZ boosts PNG’s APEC Prep with K35m

Picture: New Zealand High Commissioner Sue Mackwell officially signed the documents with APEC Minister Justin Tkatchenko in Port Moresby.

Source: Loop PNG.

The New Zealand Government yesterday signed several official documents with the Government of Papua New Guinea in Port Moresby. The documents signed were related to a total of NZ$ 15 million (K35 million) NZ’s support towards PNG as the hosts for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in November of this year (2018).

 

The document was signed by the NZ High Commissioner Sue Mackwell and with Papua New Guinea’s APEC Minister Justine Tkachenko.

 

New Zealand was one of the first economies to support PNG’s bid for APEC 2018.

 

In 2017, the New Zealand government established a NZ$ 8 million APEC’s Fund to support PNG.

 

“We are pleased to be able to support eight proposals which will see funding directed to water policing, cyber security, activities to support the PNGDF which includes support for incident response group preparations, defence intelligence training and the contribution of New Zealand Defence assets and staff for Leaders’ week.”

 

The Fund is available to PNG, New Zealand and international partner agencies to submit proposals for funding towards initiatives to support the planning and delivery of APEC 2018 across security, logistics and policy areas.

 

Meantime, APEC Minister Tkatchenko thanks New Zealand for their continuous support and friendship with PNG.

 

The funding includes support to PNG’s APEC Business Advisory Council (ABAC), protocol and liaison training, the contribution of a senior New Zealand Police contingent of 11 officers working under PNG-Australia Policing Partnership in support of the Royal PNG Constabulary’s training and preparations.

 

Tuition Reviewed

 

 

Prime Minister Peter O’Neill said a review will be carried out at major state owned Universities regarding the increases in tuition fees that are reportedly imposed by the respective institutions.

The assurance from the PM comes amidst concerns raised by many parents and students.

Minister for Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology Pila Niningi said as minister responsible he will facilitate the process to ensure that the 2018 academic year resumes uninterrupted.

Source: Post-Courier

APEC Meet To Boost Local Businesses

Source: Post-Courier

 

BY MATTHEW VARI

The APEC summit this year is expected to boost the country’s economy through direct spending anticipated at K200 million by more than 15,000 international delegates.

 
This is according to APEC PNG 2018 Co-ordination Authority CEO, Christopher Hawkins on the gain for local businesses during the summit this year.

 
“There is a few different areas for business, one is throughout the year with more than fifteen to eighteen thousand delegates coming, and that is not just the people attending the meetings, but those who arrange for their delegations and ministers and leaders, we estimate there will be a cash injection of around K200 million straight through that,” Mr Hawkins said.

 
He said the estimate covers airfares, accommodation, setting-up temporary offices for delegates to support their ministers, presidents and prime ministers.

 
Mr Hawkins said the spending indicated in the 2018 Budget appropriation of K300 million will also be spent in the local economy, with a major portion also focused on security preparations for that budget.

 
“Then there is the direct spending. We break that into consumables for the meetings that includes booking venues for meetings, the papers used to the signage to bottle of water to the transportation around the city.

 
“That comes out of the APEC budget this year, but don’t forget the big part of the APEC budget is security. That is investing in capacity we should have been advancing many years ago and now our government is in preparation for APEC investing in that capacity.”

 
Mr Hawkins said progress into the year will see more and more tender opportunities posted on the APEC tenders website.

 
“Areas like production of shirts hospitality and catering. We engaged a lot last year that went up on the APEC tenders website.”

« Older Entries