Category Archives: Government

Tammur To Introduce New Culture

Cedric Patjole

Minister for Tourism, Emil Tammur, says he will be bringing a ‘result oriented’ culture to the three agencies under his portfolio.

With years of experience in the private sector, Tammur said he will instill timeliness and constant reporting to ensure government priorities are implemented.

Tammur said this when speaking during a hand-over, take-over ceremony hosted on Wednesday by the Tourism Authority Promotion (TPA) to welcome Tammur and farewell former Minister, Tobias Kulang.

He said a briefing will be held immediately where a review of policy and operational manuals will be done.

The three agencies under the Ministry include TPA, the National Cultural Commission (NCC) and the National Museum and Art Gallery.

Tammur also commended Kulang on a brief yet effectible stint.

Meanwhile, Kulang told Tammur that tourism had long been forgotten but now, with the downturn in commodity prices, the government is shifting its focus to broaden its revenue base by investing in tourism.

He said tourism had the potential to generate between 10 and 20 percent of total revenue for the country.

Currently, he says it sits at just above 1 percent.

Kulang urged Tammur to also pay special attention to the NCC and the National Museum and Art Gallery, which for years had been overlooked.

 

 

http://www.looppng.com/png-news/tammur-introduce-new-culture-65004

Photo credit : Loop PNG

Advertisements

Proposal eyed for Motu Koitabu seat

August 18, 2017  
                            Main Stories

Prime Minister Peter O’Neill (pictured) says he will ensure that the Motu Koitabu people in the National Capital District have
a voice at national level.

 
O’Neill was responding to a query during a breakfast with the business community in Port Moresby yesterday whether there was a legislation that the government could use to ensure a seat for the

 
Motu Koitabuans in the 2022 election.
“I made a firm commitment during the elections that we will certainly introduce legislation to capture one seat for Motu Koitabu alone in the city,” he said.

 
“I will be putting that proposal together and, of course, I’m certain that is the commitment PNC (People’s National Congress) has made, you can be rest assured of PNC’s support.

 
“But again it will require legislative numbers which will require support from our friends on
the other side, but we will talk to them.
“I have made a firm
commitment and I will follow it through.”

PM announces reform of overspending dept

August 18, 2017
                         Main Stories

By Gynnie Kero

 
Prime Minister Peter O’Neill has announced a reform for the public service, saying the sector continues to overspend by more than K300 million a year.

 
Addressing the business community in Port Moresby yesterday, O’Neill said: “We are going to have a large reform in the public service structure. Public Service continues to overspend over K300 million a year on maintaining a public service structure in our country.

 
“This sort of expenditure is unsustainable for Papua New Guinea.
“That is why a large reform package will be set up where it will mean we will streamline some of the departments so that they can perform better with other departments that

 

 

are related and, we will want them to be bit more efficient, quality-driven. That would mean we may have to retrench some of our people into sectors where they are needed most.

 
“We are open to consultation during the reforms.
“Business and government need to work together for better outcomes.

 
“Our government is proud to have the mandate to continue driving positive change.
“We are grateful for the support given by our people to continue our core policy agenda.
“We are also grateful for the support of the business community for our government.
“We will again be a business-friendly government and consult with all stakeholders.”

PM orders call-out expansion

August 18, 2017    
              Main Stories

PRIME Minister Peter O’Neill has ordered that the security call-out in Hela be expanded to address the unrest in Enga and Southern Highlands.

 
The call-out is allowed under the existing order for Hela, he said in a statement.
“Our patience has ended with troublemakers in both Enga and Southern Highlands,” O’Neill said.

 
“The call-out will enable defence and police personnel to work together to maintain order.

 
“There will be zero-tolerance for any further interruptions to law and order, and community safety.

 
“The behaviour we are witnessing by small groups is totally unacceptable and is impacting on the lives of men, women and children in these areas.”

 
O’Neill warned people seeking to cause disruptions that they would be arrested by the disciplined forces and tried for criminal acts.

 
He said the situation was so different to the relative calm experienced during the recent general election in the Highlands.

 
“Throughout the campaigning and voting periods, we saw a big change in attitude in these areas,” O’Neill said.

 
“It is disappointing that towards the end of counting, we are seeing this unruly behaviour. I call on community leaders to work with the disciplined forces, and help to prevent anti-social behaviour in your areas.”

 
The call-out for Hela early this year was to address the issue of illegal guns and tribal fights before the election process began.

Women’s Seats On Card

August 18, 2017
             Main Stories

By GYNNIE KERO 

 
PRIME Minister Peter O’Neill wants to bring back for debate the proposal to reserve 22 seats in Parliament for women.
He told a breakfast meeting with the business community in Port Moresby yesterday that he would bring it up with his coalition partners and Opposition MPs.
The proposal is to have two governors – one male and one female – in each of the 22 provinces. It guarantees at least 22 women in the House.

 
He said it should not stop women from contesting the other 89 Open seats.
“I’m quite disappointed that there is no woman is in this parliament,” O’Neill said.
“Woman’s representation in parliament has been a subject of discussion for many years. Even the previous government had tried to do some legislative reforms to bring more representation of women into parliament. But those who objected most were women themselves.”A motion to have 22 reserved seats for women in Parliament was defeated in the House in 2014 after intensive lobbying.

 
But O’Neill said he would discuss the idea again with his coalition partners and Opposition MPs before it could be re-tabled in Parliament.
“I can assure you that I will be discussing this with our coalition partners and see if we can get the reserved seats – bring some women representatives into parliament as appointed members,” he said.

 
Digicel Foundation chief executive Beatrice Mahuru brought up the issue during yesterday’s breakfast. She asked O’Neill what his government planned to do before the next general election in 2022 to address the lack of female representation in Parliament.
O’Neill said “going forward, we need to have a long-term solution”.
“Just appointing members to reserved seats is not the way to go into the future,” he said.
He said he supported the idea of having one male governor and one female governor “but elected by everyone” in each province. It will mean expanding to a 133-member Parliament.

 
“I’ve been personally supportive of that option because that immediately gives 22 women to go into parliament,” he said.
“That option does not restrict the women from running in the open seats. They can compete with their male counterparts for the open seats.

 
“But for the regional seats at least, you can have some fair representations.
“Those are the options we will look at over the course of this term (of parliament). I will prefer a bipartisan approach in this regard. We will start talking with our colleagues on the other side and see how we could go.”

Special Committee Needed to Tackle Taxation Issue

By: Freddy Mou

Northern Governor Gary Juffa has called on the Government to set up a special parliamentary committee to address the taxation issue in the country.

 

He said the current tax regime is very hostile to Papua New Guineans and genuine investors with PNG’s tax rates currently the highest in the Pacific.

 

Juffa claimed that a significant portion of illegal and semi illegal businesses are earning profits, especially in the forestry and fisheries sectors as well as property and other poorly regulated businesses. 

 

He added that such illegal entities are avoiding taxes and getting away with it, leaving the shortfall to be met by genuine investors like PNG SMEs and PNG wage earners.

 

“These non-genuine transnational criminal type entities were engaged in elaborate tax avoidance schemes such as transfer pricing and undervaluation, avoiding taxes and getting away with serious tax crimes while those who fronted up to pay their taxes were being penalised and punished.”

 

Juffa further reiterated that the Government needed to take drastic measures, including setting up a special parliamentary committee comprising MPs from both sides of the House who have the experience and knowledge of such matters.

 

He added that this will effectively address the issue of declining State revenue mainly through leakage and ineffective taxation administration.

 

Meanwhile, Juffa said some mines were among those who barely paid their full portion of taxes and a few foreign wage earners were earning an income in PNG illegally while on business and tourist visas.

 

Source: Loop PNG, 17th August 2017.

We’ll Pick The Best: Marum

August 17, 2017

The National Sports

Article Views: 146

By ISAAC LIRI
PAPUA New Guinea Kumuls coach Michael Marum says he will consider all top level rugby league players in the Australian National Rugby League, the English Super League and the Q-Cup for spots in his World Cup squad.

 
With Port Moresby to host three World Cup matches for the first time against Wales (Oct 28), Ireland (Nov 5) and USA (Nov 12), several high profile players have already declared their availability for PNG.

 
Marum said he had no problem having NRL experienced players such as Cronulla Sharks hooker Segeyaro and Souths Sydney Rabbitohs back Alex Johnston in the Kumuls after the pair came out in the Australian media this month offering to play for PNG.
North Queensland Cowboys hooker/half Ray Thompson, who is set to retire at the end of the year has also put his hand up for a World Cup spot.

 
“Segeyaro and Johnston are both NRL experienced players. There are both playing in a level higher than the Hunters players and we all know that getting to that level is not easy,” Marum said.

 
“If there are both available for selection, their inclusion would boost our performance at the World Cup.
“Playing at home doesn’t mean that we will have it easy against Wales, Ireland and the USA because they will bring quality sides with some NRL talent.

 
“So whoever is fit and available and is playing well at the top level competitions, we will consider them, because we want the best for the country,” Marum said.
Nene Macdonald (St George Illawarra Dragons) and Kato Ottio (Canberra Raiders) are expected to be considered if fit and healthy.

 
Rod Griffin and Rhyse Martin (Canterbury Bulldogs) who played for PNG in the Pacific test against the Cook Islands earlier this year are also in the running.
Marum said the selectors would also consider players Europe with England-based Mark Mexico, Garry Lo, Jason Tali, Paul Aiton and Jessie Joe Nandye to come under consideration.

 
Other players in the Q-Cup outside of the Hunters are the Pandia brothers Richard and Sebastian (Ipswich Jets) who have already represented PNG, incumbent Kumuls prop Luke Page (Burleigh Bears), Tommy Butterfield (Easts Tigers).

 
The latest player to be eligible to play for PNG is Cowboys squad member and Townsville Blackhawks five-eighth Kyle Laybutt.

 
Kumul selectors have already begun their task monitoring players to finalise a train-on squad that will be used for selection.
“With 73 days to go before the World Cup we are on track with our preparations making sure all the small things are sorted out for the World Cup, the PM’s 13 and the Tri-Series in Fiji,” Marum added

 
Meanwhile Marum said the PM’s 13 team for this year in Sept 23 might draw in players from the Digicel Cup to take up spots due to the Hunters focus on the Q-Cup finals.

 

« Older Entries