Category Archives: Criminal

Marape: You can’t force people to be violent. Take your violence to your electorate please.

Among his usual debates on politics, Don Polye went very low in Tari to invite thuggery and violence by asking people to remove, tear and burn all PNC red shirts and caps.

The Opposition Leader arrived in Tari town last week inciting violence and arguments instead of peace and offering alternate government policies.

“We have a fragile society in Hela, and we are trying to promote peace despite our own differences in Hela, yet Polye, who says he has concern for Hela, stirs trouble. What kind of leadership is this?” stated James Marape.

“I ask Polye, a honest question as an equally mandated leader of my Huli people; you have been the long serving minister for works, transport and civil aviation, you have been foreign minister, higher education minister and treasury and Finance Ministers in 13 years since 2002. What have you started in Hela that you want to complete?” Mr Marape asked.

Mr Marape has taken to his Tari Pori Development Forum to rebut much of Polye’s arguments in Tari last Friday.

He is appealing for Hela to rise above petty politics and allow peace to prevail, and asks Hela people to choose leaders without asking for money or voting for a tribal candidate.

Meanwhile after Don’s immature campaigning, he was then chased away after he got on his vehicle. All he did was psyched the crowd up, apart from that, nothing good came out from his violent talk.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Policemen Tarnishing the Reputation of the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary.

***Port Moresby General Hospital Doctor Beaten by Police***

 

A medical doctor doing his residency at the Port Moresby General Hospital Labour ward was beaten by Policemen on Wednesday night.

The young doctor will not be assisting mothers and babies in the Labour ward, because his eyes are completely shut and he has become partially deaf as a result of the beating.

Senior doctors say there is a shortage of doctors working with mothers and babies. Dr. Berry Newman’s inability to work will cause complications at the Labour ward.

This morning Professor Ikau Kevau, Dr. Osborne Liko and other senior doctors condemned the beating of the young medical officer.

The doctors collectively demanded action from the Police Commissioner and his deputies.

They’ve made the call after one of their own was badly beaten by cops in Tokarara.

“I dropped my sister and was turning back to Tokarara, they approached me when I stopped to change my tyres, they said I dropped off criminals and six of them punched and one kicked me on the right side of my ear,” said Dr. Newman.

Dr. Newman is now nursing serious injuries which will stop him from working at the Labour Ward.

He is part of a team of young doctors being trained to save the lives of mothers and babies.

But after the beating, he is deaf in the left ear and his eyes are completely shut. The injuries could become permanent.

“My right ear is not working anymore, I cannot see anymore. I don’t know why i was beaten up, I chose this career path to serve the people of this country,” the Labour ward trainee says.

Dr. Newman told EMTV News that he was taken to Waigani Police station where a policeman told him he could pick up his car in the morning after he pays the boys.

” They told me to go wash my face and treat myself, and then bring some money [so that] I can get my car,”  Newman said.

Senior doctors at Port Moresby General Hospital say the matter will not be taken lightly. It will be taken to the Police Commissioner for the matter to be addressed.

Doctors are respected in the society for their services to health. The incident has brought disgrace to the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary.

Members of the public have gone on social media outraged by the actions of a few policemen tarnishing the reputation of the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary.

Police Commissioner Gari Baki was approached for a response.

 

EMTV News Online  June 3, 2017

Boy Suffers from Continue Abuse & Rape

***Boy Raped by Women***

 

Three women are in police custody after allegedly raping a 17 year old grade 9 student attending Kimbe Grammer in West New Britain.

According to Kimbe police reports the teenager was on his way to his neighbours house when was stopped by one of the perpetrators  and forced to flirt, smoke drugs and consume alcohol.

According to the West New Britain Provincial Health Authority (PHA) health workers confirmed that the victim is suffering from a damaged swollen penile tissue caused by the continuous abuse and rape he endured.

Health sources said that the victim is under medication and is receiving medical check for other related infections.

Health officers at PHA told the Post Courier that the victim was tricked into smoking brus (tobacco) which had been mixed with marijuana that made him dizzy as he was then taken into the house and was raped by the three women.

Mother of the victim (name withheld) said that this behaviour is not good and the three women do not have respect for themselves and that they are a disgrace to their family and the community.

“These women are from Sepik, Arowe and Tolai and are all married women who drugged my son and raped him. Basically they took advantage of him,” she said.

Meanwhile, statement and comments from the police could not be reached however it is believed that the trio have been in police custody since Wednesday.

Post-Courier Online Latest News June 1, 2017

Govt issues cyber warning

The National

THE PNG Government is warning business houses, critical infrastructure, system operators and the public to take measures necessary to protect their computer systems and other devices following global cyber-attack.
The attack hit more than 100,000 computer systems around the world, causing havoc among users.
The virus known as Ransomware, also known as Wanna Decryptor or WannaCry, has caused computers around the world to encrypt files
and locks up files, demands payment and prevents further access.
Department of Communication and Information acting secretary Paulias Korni said the National Information and Communication Technology Authority (Nicta) and the department with support from the International Telecommunication Union have commenced work on developing PNG’s National Cyber Security Strategy that should pave way for a nationally coordinated approach in responding to such attacks.
He said that a survey questionnaire on cyber security would be posted on the Nicta website and hardcopies could be collected from Nicta the head office in Hohola, seeking views on key issues to be addressed in PNG’s national cyber security strategy.
According to sources: “Ransomware is a programme that gets into your computer, either by clicking on the wrong thing or downloading the wrong thing, and then it holds something you need to ransom.
“In the case of WannaCry, the programme encrypts your files and demands payment in bitcoin in order to regain access .”
According to further reports, Ransomware attack has spread to at least eight Asian nations, a dozen countries in Europe, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates and Argentina and is likely to spread around the globe.
Researchers have advised users to be more careful when opening their personal computers and not to open emails, links or attachments that look suspicious and to further refrain from sending chain emails.

 

http://www.thenational.com.pg/govt-issues-cyber-warning/

Public Warned On Circulation Of Old Bank Notes

THE Bank of Papua New Guinea (BPNG) has strongly warned that K160 million in paper money it had designated to be destroyed had been hijacked, and some of it have found their way back to the country.
The bank said of the total amount, only K1 million has been recouped and now held in custody to be destroyed, while intense investigations are being carried out on the whereabouts of the rest.
The bank is also cautioning the public not be fooled by these old notes, which are illegal and cannot be used for business transactions.
With the national election in process and with large sums of cash in circulation, BPNG has urged members of the public to be wary and to report any sightings of these notes.
BPNG governor Loi Bakani said the demonitisation exercise had been undertaken by the Central bank to replace the paper money with the polymer or plastic notes.
Mr Bakani said the paper notes in denominations of K2, K5, K10, K20, K50 and K100 were sold to a recycling company in Europe in 2013.
They were loaded in a container for shipment to Europe but the container was hijacked.
He said the bank had yet to establish how this had happened.
“The border authority reported this was fake money that had come in from Indonesia. This is part of it. We have visited the boarder and we are also working with the banks and authorities on the Indonesian side on how best we can address this issue and get the money out of there.
“The unfortunate thing though is that some of it, mostly K20 and K100 are finding their way back into the country and people may think the polymer notes are fake money and won’t accept it. That is why awareness is vital.
“Because the paper money has been demonitised, it has no value and is not recognised as legal tender,” the governor said.
“The public is advised to check the serial numbers at the bottom of the bank notes. If you are receiving or are holding onto any of these paper notes with serial numbers that fall within the range of the serial numbers indicated, reject them outright.”
The serial numbers which will be published are as follows:
n K2, with a prefix’ of ABJ-AJS with numbers of a low 000001 and high of 003000;
n K10, with a prefix’ of AC-AY with numbers of a low 030000 and high 031000;
n K10, with a prefix’ of NBP-NES and numbers with a low 160000 and high of 173000;
n K20, with a prefix’ of BPNG with numbers with a low 0000001 and high of 3000000;
n K50, with a prefix’ of HTT-HUU with numbers with a low 080000 and a high of 090000; and
n K100, with a prefix of BPNG, with numbers of a low 0000001 and high of 6000000.
The governor said the demonitisation exercise had run for four years and those holding onto old notes had enough time to exchange them for polymer notes.
The time had lapsed and the bank would not be doing any exchanges because they are no longer legal tender.

 

 

http://postcourier.com.pg/public-warned-circulation-old-bank-notes/

17 Shot Dead In Buimo Breakout

BY FRANCO NEBAS
and BRADLEY MARIORI

SEVENTEEN prisoners have been shot dead after a mass breakout of 77 prisoners at Buimo jail in Lae last Friday.
Their bodies are now at Angau Memorial Hospital morgue while Lae residents have been warned to expect an upsurge in crime in coming days.
The prisoners dashed for freedom about 11am on Friday after breaking out of the men’s detainee compound.
Lae police metropolitan commander Chief Super­in­tendent Anthony Wag­am­bie Jr said yesterday that of the escapees, 17 are dead, three captured and 57 still at large.
Mr Wagambie said details of how the escape happened would be released by the Correctional Services hierarchy.
He warned the public to remain vigilant and take necessary precautions when moving around during the national election campaign period. “These are undesirable people and will be a threat to the community,” he added.
Mr Wagambie called on family members and close associates of the escapees not to harbour them but to encourage them to surrender to police.
“If the escapees fear for their safety, they can go through their community leaders, church elders or family members to be brought to me so that I can ensure they are brought back to Buimo jail safely.
“I am warning them that they will be caught. They must do what is good for them and surrender,” he said, adding he had been in Port Moresby and only returned to Lae yesterday.
Mr Wagambie anticipates an increase in criminal activities in Lae as long as the 57 prisoners are on the run. “The public must be vigilant, but the escapees must surrender and not let us go after them.”
The bodies of the deceased are under heavy guard at Angau.
Buimo jail commander Felix Nomane refused to comment, hanging up the telephone when contacted yesterday.

 

 

http://postcourier.com.pg/17-shot-dead-buimo-breakout/

Picture: EMTV online

Court: Kondra’s appeal cannot be reopened

BY: Sally Pokiton

The Supreme Court has refused an application by suspended Member for North Fly, Boka Kondra that asked the court to reopen an appeal it dismissed on November 30, 2016 alleging an error was made.

The Supreme Court on November 30, 2016, dismissed Kondra’s appeal because it found that the trial judge in the National Court, and the Leadership Tribunal members, made no errors in reaching their respective decisions.

Kondra and his lawyer Philip Ame filed a Slip rule application alleging the Supreme Court slipped or fell into error in the Appeal and asked the court to grant leave to revisit the appeal.

Justice Frazer Pitpit on Wednesday refused to grant leave on the slip rule application because the issue raised was not pleaded among the 10 grounds of appeal that was earlier dismissed.

kondra

Ame’s main argument in court on Tuesday was on the punishment recommendation that the Chairman of the Tribunal, Justice Salatiel Lenalia made during the Tribunal hearing in 2015.

He said the Tribunal flawed by making two separate decisions on the recommended penalty and the whole decision is null and void that should be set aside as it is unconstitutional.

On April 27, 2015, the Leadership Tribunal found Kondra guilty to six counts of misconduct in office.

Ame said the Tribunal on that day made comments of recommendations for Kondra to be criminally prosecuted; however on May 29, 2015 the tribunal recommended that the MP be dismissed from office.

This ground was not raised in the Supreme Court appeal and Ame admitted in court on Tuesday that the counsel representing the Leader then did not bring that up earlier to the attention of the court.

Justice Pitpit in his ruling on Wednesday said the Chairman of the Leadership Tribunal, Justice Salatiel Lenalia made the comments following his observations of the tribunal during the hearing.

He was of the view that there was a misapprehension of that decision and the comments of the Tribunal chairman during the verdict stage that created confusion when the subsequent penalty decision was yet to be done.

He said those comments were made during the decision of verdict and was a “general observation”.

“That recommendation is not a punishment. That is yet to be actioned by appropriate authorities like the Police and Public Prosecutor. It’s still a recommendation if those authorities wish to adopt and take action on.

Justice Pitpit also said the attention of the court was not drawn to this issue then. He also said Slip rule is a common law remedy and is not for the appellant to have a another bite of the cherry.

“Now everything is closed, he is now raising it as a slip and how can it be raised as slip when it was not included in the 10 grounds of appeal.

“Lawyer for the appellant (Kondra) failed to have brought this matter to the attention of the court so we cannot say Supreme Court slipped when it was not brought to the attention of the court,” Pitpit added.

 

http://www.looppng.com/png-news/court-kondra%E2%80%99s-appeal-cannot-be-reopened-54613

« Older Entries